Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Um...yeah, that's my living room in the background (and Quentin on the couch sucking his thumb). After I got this thing pressed, on the dress form, wrapped up mummie style in my king size bed sheet, and got her downtown...I made it back to pick up Zoe from kindergarten with one minute to spare. So...the pics were taken in a hurry, but I know you guys have been dying to see it, so here it is!
There's a tiny bit of wobbly fit at the top of the bust area. I would kill to get my hands on someone who has several years experience making corsets to mentor me. I'm totally self taught and there are things that just don't always work for me, the area being the most troublesome.
The four areas where I printed words say "fashion", "haute couture", "chic", and "modiste"
Again, some areas of stress I would like to learn how to eliminate, a corset should look like you've been shelacked (sp?) into into it.
My favorite part (the back view) !


I think you get a really good feel here for the print. The swirls and letters were batiked with Batik EZ from Crafters Pick, then I used yellow and green in Jacaurd Dye-Na-Flo, then went back after that was dry and added small areas of teal and burgandy. Then washed out the Batik EZ with warm water, let it dry and stamped Jacaurd Luminere in Burgandy and Gold.

I also dyed the silk dupioni under the skirt bright orange, then dyed the silk organza burgandy and treated them as one fabric. It gives a nice shimmery effect to have the 2 contrasting colors.

Yeah, that didn't take 4 days or anything. But seriously, when I saw the final result it made me squeal. It's so cool to look at something like that and say "I MADE that!"

3 comments:

Linda L said...

Wow! Impressive.
Alicia you posted question on my blog about how I knew I had 11,000+ visitors. I signed up on Site Meter. Link is at the bottom of my page. You can sign up for free and it gives you this information.

Mary Beth said...

Alicia, I don't know how I've missed this post...I've been checking in at least once a week. I took a 1 hr corset class from a lady who works at Haberman's in Royal Oak, MI. I hope you can connect with someone who can help.

Good luck, I'm glad to have found you!

Alisa_Benay said...

Thanks gals! This project was like giving birth. Well, maybe not, I actually did that 3 times in 3 1/2 years, by the time I got to the last one, it was really a breeze, no pain or anything....so maybe this project was more intense than birth...it was like....1463 3 am feedings in a row (which I did with my last one!)

Now that I've done this, I don't want to do any more "regular" sewing anymore! It was so fun, I just want to make more of them...now if I could just find people willing to pay for them!